What does Paul really mean when he says in I Corinthians, "I make myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God's law but am under Christ's law), so as to win those not having the law. To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some. I do this for the sake of the gospel, that I man share in its blessings."?
The context of this passage is Paul is speaking to the Corinthian Christians about their “right” based on “knowledge” to eat meat sacrificed to idols in a temple restaurant (Guzik, Study on I Cor.). He also uses this time to remind them of his "rights" as an apostle of Christ. At this point, the corinthian Christians don't want to support him for the work he is doing for Christ. Paul says, "Look, soldiers don't go to war for you and pay themselves; a man doesn't plant a vineyard and not eat any of the grapes; and like God said in Deut.25:4, you can't have your ox tread out the grain and take measures so that he doesn't eat any of it. That's ridiculous." But the kicker is, a few verses down, Paul says, "I really don't care if you pay me or not, I'm not going to hinder the gospel, I won't stop preaching it."
With that said, wouldn't it be logical for the Corinthians to understand what Paul is getting at? Basically this; "I have more rights than you will ever have, but I'm willing to give up all those rights for the good of the gospel. Are you willing to do the same?" Just because we have the "right" doesn't make it right.
Which leads to my original question...in a nutshell; "Paul was free to do what he wanted, but bringing people to Jesus was more important to him than using the freedom selfishly. Paul was willing to offend people over the gospel; but wanted to offend them only over the gospel. (Guzik)."
Very interesting notion...more food for thought.

0 comments: